If you’re on Instagram or TikTok at al, you’ve seen the “influencers” who are constantly putting new and fresh content out into the world. They’re always talking about getting new content marketing out for you to enjoy. Or they worry about how the platform shadow banned them.
And every time I notice a person worried about a shadow ban it is a local service based business. My first thought is “why are you worried about shadow ban?” Fame isn’t important for you or your business because you need LOCAL clients.
A profitable and sustainable business is far more important than being Insta-famous in their situation. And even more important is a business that doesn’t require crazy hours and a marketing plan that’s not effective.
Content marketing is exhausting.
Hustle is the name of the game in the influencer world. The type of content marketing it requires to be an influencer is exhausting. You have to constantly put new things out there while you work your day job and in some cases 2 or more other jobs. And, while, it’s all great to be an influencer if that’s what you want, it’s usually a “fake it till you make it” kind of thing, one where you get free stuff in exchange for promo on your platform, rather than money.
And I mean, free stuff is great, sure. I’m not sure about you, though, but free stuff doesn’t pay my bills. The electric company isn’t going to take a free shirt in exchange for my $200 electric bill, unfortunately. And neither will AT&T or my landlord.
Local Based Businesses and Content Marketing
While I AM a fan of content marketing that makes sense, don’t confuse it with the “more followers means more business” mindset.
Your marketing strategy needs to be well planned. If you’re a local service based business such as a photographer, wedding vendor, or hair and makeup artist, what is your end goal with your marketing plan?
It’s to get more clients, right?
Then why are you spending hours and hours creating content on TikTok for followers all over the country? Unless you’ve found marketing research I haven’t seen, I highly doubt that the types of clients you need to book for your services are on TikTok searching for vendors.
No, they are more likely on google searching for local services with great reviews. Your precious marketing hours would be better spent on your website and SEO.
And I mean that- your time IS precious.
Local based businesses require local based marketing strategies.
Read that again. Local based businesses require local based marketing strategies. Quit wasting your time on marketing that’s not effective in paying your bills or growing your business.
Who cares if you get shadow banned on a platform that’s not booking clients anyway?
Your job is NOT to put entertainment out there for everyone. Your job is to create an experience in your business that keeps clients coming back over and over AND referring others for your service.
Remember, fame, especially on Instagram or TikTok, is fleeting.
We’ve all seen and heard of the Insta-famous influencers. And I bet you don’t remember the majority of them or have a clue where they are now. If you’re a business owner, stop worrying about content marketing for your audience and start building a strategy to create a profitable and sustainable business.
Build a content marketing strategy that’s sustainable.
If you love content marketing, that’s great. I still think content marketing is super important for business owners, but you need to make sure you use it to build your business, not just have a bunch random followers.
Here are a few tips.
- Are you a writer, speaker, or a vlogger? Different people prefer one over the other and that’s great. Just make sure you choose one and implement it in the most effective way possible for your business.
- Decide your ultimate goal for your marketing. Is it to book more clients? Or grow your local following to turn followers into clients? Whatever your goal is, make sure you marketing strategy fits that goal.
- Make sure your content is directed to your ideal client. If you own a wedding stationary business, don’t post photos of you in a swimsuit or lingerie everyday. That’s not what your ideal client is searching for, is it? This strategy will get more followers on your page, sure. The problem is they will be creepy dudes, not women looking for wedding stationary.
- Understand that social media platforms and accounts can be removed in an instant. Make sure you do everything you can to get your followers onto your email list so if for some reason you ever have to start from scratch, you have an email list in which to do just that. Social media platforms own your followers, but you own your email list.
Content marketing is a great way to grow your business, but remember that fame doesn’t matter in the long run. Your ultimate goal is a solid, sustainable, and profitable business that’s automated so you can free up time to spend with the people in your life who matter. You can only create this business with a strategic marketing plan.
PLEASE stop wasting your time creating content for no reason other than likes on the post. Those likes mean nothing to the people giving them to your post, and it’s just a small high you feel as they come in.
Remember, you’ll never get time back to spend with your family.
Do you need help creating a marketing plan that works?
Each week, I open up time to create FREE Action Plans with business owners and I would love to help you create one today. In these sessions, we hop on a Zoom call, chat about your business, set your goals, and discuss the best course of action to make those goals happen in your business. They are really fun and very productive 30 minute chats. By the end of the action planning session, you have a plan to reach your big goals and have a business plan to not only own a profitable business, but one that doesn’t require crazy hours. Win, win right?
In this FREE 30 Minute INTENSIVE masterclass, you will learn:
- A strategy that will book out your schedule and fill your bank account ASAP
- What a long-term marketing strategy looks like–ya know, so you don't have to work so hard forever.
- And so.much.more.
Yes, there will be a replay. 🙂