Special note: My favorite boudoir photographer, Marissa, passed away after her battle with cancer on July 12, 2022. She was my biggest supporter and one of my favorite friends and clients. After a lot of consideration, I decided to leave this episode up because I know she would have wanted me to. Please enjoy this episode and just give Marissa’s family an extra prayer or special thought during this time – and years into the future. She was the most special human being I’ve ever been lucky enough to know.
Marissa of Marissa Ruth Studios is a boudoir photographer in Aiken, South Carolina. She’s a TLC coaching client who came to me because, although she had a successful photography business, she was working CRAZY hours.
In this interview, we talk about the transformation in her photography business since we started working together and the steps she’s taken to implement this marketing strategy.
The biggest takeaway in this episode is how Marissa has totally changed the way she runs her business. She is stepping away and spending more time on her health and with her husband as they grow their life together.
Yes, her sales averages have increased. She’s attracting a better type of client, but the biggest thing she’s shifted is her priorities.
Before TLC Coaching
Like most of us in business, Marissa had tried several different courses and programs through the years. One Facebook group in particular definitely helped grow her business, just not in a way that’s at all sustainable.
In fact, what this group taught was mostly Facebook ads(which we all know I stand firmly against).
When Marissa came to me, we sat down and went through her numbers and accounting from the previous year. What I saw just absolutely floored me.
She paid Facebook MORE than she paid herself.
Facebook should never be paid MORE than you pay yourself. It should just never happen!
TLC Goals for this Ready-to-Automate Boudoir Photographer
When we started together, Marissa had a few goals. This is something all of my TLC clients plan out at the beginning of our time together.
- Stop Facebook Ads. The problem is, you can’t just STOP them. So, she is still in the process of weaning herself off of paid ads. One thing she has definitely noticed is the TYPE of clients Facebook attracts, though, and it’s not ideal clients, so she is now more ready than ever to be done.
- Increase automated bookings. Automated bookings are something that seems scary to my photographers when I first mention this. The thing is, though, that with a high converting website, SEO, and a good nurture sequence, this becomes so easy!
- Give up her day job. Marissa was still working part time at her “other job” but she was ready to feel comfortable and confident enough to leave her 9-5, without trading it for a 24-7 hustle!
Her health became her real priority.
In January of 2022, Marissa was hospitalized with a diagnosis that proved how important sustainable freedom really is. She was running herself ragged before, and her body told her to slow down.
At the same time, the universe told her she was on the right track with her very first automated booking through her website while she was laying in a hospital bed.
Between traveling back and forth to Phoenix for treatment, she has really focused on the automation side of her business. Thankfully, bookings without a consultation have become the norm.
Marissa’s TLC Tools
Maybe you’re wondering exactly what courses or coaching Marissa has used with Tracy Lynn Coaching. Let’s go through it really quickly. By the way, she owns everything I offer and has actually implemented it, but let me give you specifics.
- “All In” TLC 1:1 Coaching
- With private 1:1 coaching, we create a plan that helps you grow your busienss while spending time with the most important people in your life AND doing what you love. The “All In” package includes 18 calls with me(Tracy). W
- TLC Boudoir Photographers Mastermind
- This is an exclusive, year-long program guiding boudoir photographers through my step-by-step proven & repeatable system to scale their boudoir photography business so it doesn’t rely on ads, model calls, or flash sales … and finally keep their calendar fully booked AND making those high sales.
- TLC Boudoir Studio Accelerator
- This course helps a boudoir photographer create a luxurious boudoir studio experience your ideal clients deserve—and take your business to the next level. It includes my step-by-step approach to reframe your mindset, strategically price your services, and create a luxury client experience your clients remember forever.
- TLC Photography Marketing Course
- This course teaches you to market your business on autopilot with my step-by-step framework and help you find the best client for YOUR business
- TLC Photography Pricing Course
- This course teaches my strategy to begin pricing your services for profit, sustainability & consistent bookings.
More about Marissa Ruth Studios
Marissa is a boudoir photographer who owns and runs Marissa Ruth Studios in Aiken, South Carolina. I would describe her boudoir photography as clean, classy, tasteful with a hint of sexy. Although she is from Minnesota, she’s a southern girl at heart. She lives for evenings on the porch or in her garden, where she can watch the sun kiss the treetops as it goes down.